Narrative – Eric Driscoll, October 2016
Junior Team Tennis
- Successful Midcoast Junior Team Tennis Fall Tournament Weekend Held (Promotion League) 31 Players Registered on Tennslink. Brunswick, ME
- New Hampshire Junior Team Tennis Winter League Set-Up On Tennislink & Promoted To Potential Program Providers, Coaches, Parent Volunteers Coaches Etc.
- New Racket & Fitness Center In-House JTT League To Start In November. It will include Fall, Winter, and Spring Leagues. Registration for the league is mandatory for all juniors in six-week long program participants. Portland, Me
Kids Tennis Clubs
- Eight New After-School Tennis Programs Registered As Kids Tennis Clubs – East End Community School, Riverton Elementary, Hall Elementary, Longfellow Elementary, Lyseth Elementary, Reiche Elementary, Ocean Ave Elementary, and Presumpscot Elementary. These schools are where Portland Parks, Recreation are offering tennis through the grant we awarded them. Each program is to run one day per week for six weeks. I attended the first program kickoff at Riverton School. Portland, ME
- I am working with Paul Sykes who lives in Norway Maine to develop the Oxford Hills Community Tennis Association. The CTA would include the towns of Norway, Oxford, Paris, Harrison, Buckfield, Hartford, Hebron, Mechanic Falls, Otisfield, Poland, Sumner, and West Paris. The goal is to work with the schools and recreation departments to deliver affordable and accessible tennis programs that include a leadership learning component. We have met with and identified a few potential board members and have guided Paul on how to start a CTA. Oxford Hills, ME
- Granite State YMCA Registered as A CTA/NJTL. Goffstown, NH
- Eight teams registered and participating in Central Maine Adult Developmental League.
- Attended and exhibited at Girl Scouts “Girl Day Expo” in Bedford, NH. I engaged three volunteers to help on the two Short Courts we set up for the girls and family members to try tennis, so I could talk with parents and kids at the booth. The courts were packed for six hours straight and we were changing them over every five minutes, and I spoke with many of the parents and the kids about JTT and area tennis programs. Bedford, NH
- Presented a session, “Reposition Tennis as a Play Based Program” at the Maine Recreation & Parks Fall Conference. The program would integrate JTT into recreation program and other youth programs. Attendees of the session were from the following towns/cities: Falmouth, Brunswick, Bath, Lewiston, Auburn, South Portland, Hampden, Orono, Augusta, and Gorham.
- Worked with Maine Tennis Association Youth Committee to put on Maine Youth Tennis Day. We had over 60 kids a total of over 100 attendees to this inaugural event. Promoted JTT, Junior Tournaments and Youth Progression. Brunswick,, ME
- Attended USTA New England and Maine Tennis Association board meetings.
- Completed a facility update project where I reviewed hundreds if not over a thousand records for where tennis courts are located in Maine & New Hampshire. The review included verifying and updating contact person, website, email address, number and types of courts, as well as physical address of the tennis courts. Information I used to verify these and update these records includes my knowledge and records, as well as Google Maps searches, and website confirmation.
- Portland Maine Recreation and Calais Maine Recreation have applied for facility funding help.
- Met with Southern Maine CTA to plan meeting to engage volunteers to serve on the board and help develop and deliver tennis programs in partnerships with local communities.